The MLB draft is set to start next Wednesday, June 10 at 7 PM EST.
The first round along with the competitive balance round A picks will be then. Thursday the 11th will be the other 4 rounds. Yes, you are reading that right.
As of right now, there will only be 5 rounds in this year’s draft, down from the usual 40 rounds. This in response to the COVID19 epidemic.
Last year Dallas Sports Nation put out it’s first-ever MLB MOCK DRAFT.
It’s time to put out the 2020 version. Like last year the prognosticators are all over the place with who the Rangers will take with the 14th pick.
Below is a list of who the major publications had the Rangers picking, along with some local media that Dallas Sports Nation reached out to.
- Baseball America: Garrett Mitchell, CF UCLA
- MLB Pipeline: Garrett Crochet, LHP Tennessee
- The Athletic: Nick Bitsko, RHP Central Bucks East HS (PA)
- ESPN: Garrett Crochet, LHP Tennessee
- Bleacher Report: Jared Kelley, RHP Refugio HS (TX)
- Jamey Newberg (The Athletic): He reminded me that in this STORY he had the Rangers take Nick Bitsko, from PA. Newberg has him making his debut in 2025 out of spring training, landing the last rotation spot.
- Chris Halicke (Sports Illustrated): Garrett Crochet, LHP Tennessee (Although he likes Jared Kelley)
- Heath Criswell (Prospect Times): Nick Bitsko, RHP PA (Although he hopes Garrett Mitchell from UCLA would drop to 14)
- Scott Lucas (Newberg Report): Garrett Crochet, LHP Tennessee (If injury checks out)
The Rangers’ predictions are all over the place again.
Dallas Sports Nation has settled on the following first-round.
Dallas Sports Nation: MLB Mock Draft 2020
- 1) Detroit Tigers: Spencer Torkelson, Arizona State 1B
2) Baltimore Orioles: Austin Martin, Vanderbilt, 3B/OF
3) Miami Marlins: Asa Lacy, Texas A&M LHP
4) Kansas City Royals: Zac Veen, Spruce Creek HS (FL) OF
5) Toronto Blue Jays: Nick Gonzales, New Mexico State 2B
6) Seattle Mariners: Max Meyer, Minnesota RHP
7) Pittsburgh Pirates: Emerson Hancock, Georgia RHP
8) San Diego Padres: Reid Detmers, Louisville LHP
9) Colorado Rockies: Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas OF
10) Los Angeles Angels: Robert Hassell III, Independence HS (TN) OF
11) Chicago White Sox: Patrick Bailey, NC State C
12) Cincinnati Reds: Austin Hendrick, West Allegheny HS (PA) OF
13) San Francisco Giants: Tyler Soderstrom, Turlock HS (CA) C
14) Texas Rangers: Garrett Mitchell, UCLA CF
15) Philadelphia Phillies: Nick Bitsko, Central Buck East HS (PA) RHP
16) Chicago Cubs: Garrett Crochet, Tennessee LHP
17) Boston Red Sox: Mick Abel, Jesuit HS (OR) RHP
18) Arizona Diamondbacks: Pete Crow-Armstrong, Harvard-Westlake HS (CA) OF
19) New York Mets: Justin Foscue, Mississippi State, 2B/3B
20) Milwaukee Brewers: Cade Cavalli, Oklahoma RHP
21) St Louis Cardinals: Cole Wilcox, Georgia RHP
22) Washington Nationals: Jared Kelley, Refugio HS (TX) RHP
23) Cleveland Indians: Dillon Dingler, Ohio State C
24) Tampa Bay Rays: Slade Cecconi, Miami RHP
25) Atlanta Braves: Chris McMahon, Miami RHP
26) Oakland Athletics: Nick Loftin, Baylor SS
27) Minnesota Twins: Bryce Jarvis, Duke RHP
28) New York Yankees: Ed Howard, Mount Carmel HS (IL) SS
29) Los Angeles Dodgers: Austin Wells, Arizona C
Notes: The Houston Astros do not have a pick because of the sign-stealing scandal. That is why there are only 29 picks in the first round.
Dallas Sports Nation went with a college outfielder at the 14th pick for the Rangers. In order for Garrett Mitchell to be picked there, he would need to fall to the Rangers. He is considered the 6th best prospect by Baseball America and MLB Pipeline. However, BA has him falling to the Rangers while The Athletic has him falling to the Cubs at 16. That is two major publications that have him available at 14.
Garrett Crochet does have some injury issues while Nick Bitsko is a high school hurler.
I feel the Rangers go the college route and not with a pitcher.
Featured Image: Scott Chandler